Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sushi Hangover

Today I write with a raging sushi hangover.  My stomach may have exploded already; it’s difficult to check since my body has expanded 3 whole inches in the span of 3 hours (Yes, I checked).

Being in the big city has one huge advantage over my previous experience of small town living – All You Can Eat Sushi.

It’s a personal challenge levelled at me by those who dare to think I don’t plan to get more than my money’s worth out of this experience.  It’s a family weakness – we are incapable of saying “no” to free food.  And I have naturally improved upon that to attempt to devour whatever is put in front of me. 

I’ll admit, I look pretty small but I can hold my own against the best in a sushi restaurant.  I think it helps because the pieces are all bite-sized.  You don’t realize how many you’ve actually eaten until you have to undo your jeans under the table. 

Hint – try to wear loose pants when answering an all-you-can challenge, it lessens the painful sequelae

It’s a running joke that when my friends and I arrive at the sushi restaurant, the owners automatically start to panic in the knowledge we are going to eat everything they have. 

Because the minute we sit down, my stomach transforms into a bottomless vortex of sushi-devouring power. 

And I’m not even the worst one! Unassisted, the boys once ate 800 pieces of salmon sashimi before the waiter had to tell us they were out!

Nevertheless, the pain is absolutely worth it – a testimony to the deliciousness of uncensored gluttony among friends

No comments:

Post a Comment